All Fridays in the month of Aadi(Tamil month) are considered auspicious and on the first Friday it is a custom to make Kozhukattai or Mothagam (Sanskrit) for Lord Ganesha.
It is believed that Lord Ganesha's favourite dish is Mothagam and hence his name 'Modhagapriyan'.
I have been busy the whole day running around with my personal stuffs. But somehow I wanted to post this dish today. I managed to get my time now (it is 11.40 P.M :D) and here you go.
Rice flour - 1.5 Cup(s)
Water - 1 Cup
Jaggery - 7-8 pieces
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Sesame Oil - 1 Tsp
Cardamom - 2
Salt - 1 Tsp
- Boil water in a pan.Add Salt and Sesame oil.
- Once water starts boiling, gradually add the rice flour. Mix it well and see to that no lumps are formed.
- Allow it to cool. It should be in Chapati consistency.
- For preparing pooranam (coconut sweet), in a pan add jaggery, sprinkle water and allow it to melt. Do not add more water.
- Powder cardamom seeds.
- Once jaggery starts melting add coconut and cardamom powder and keep mixing for sometime.
- Allow it to cool.
- Now form balls with the rice flour and small balls with the coconut sweet.
- Make a cup like structure or a flat structure (whichever is comfortable) with the rice flour and place the coconut sweet ball in it.
- Close the cup leaving a beak like appearance.
- Steam the Kozhukattai for 10 mins.
- Your sweet is ready !
Have a nice day !