'Kara Kuzhambu' is a famous dish in Karaikudi, a village that belongs to Chettinad region in Tamilnadu. It is famous for its spicy dishes and more commonly non-vegetarian dishes. My friends mom used to prepare delicious karaikudi dishes. She used to grind using Ammi (Granite grinding Stone) to get the perfect taste.
You will find lot of Karaikudi Chettinad restaurants in Tamilnadu. If you are spice lover, this is for you. I got this recipe from a cook book (quite long back) and had it in my notes.
Drumstick - 2 (cut into small pieces of 3" )
Onion - 1 Medium
Tomato - 2
Curry leaves - Few
Onion - 3 pods
Tamarind - Small lime size
Mustard Seeds - 1 Tsp
Gram Dhal - 2 Tsp
Urad Dhal - 1 Tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1 Tsp
Sambhar powder - 2 Tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
Hing powder - A pinch
Salt - As required
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice.
- Chop the onion,garlic and tomato. Keep it aside.
- Dry fry Gram dhal and Urad dhal. Grind them into coarse powder and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add Curry leaves, turmeric powder and hing powder.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, drumstick and fry for sometime.
- Add the chopped tomato and saute for sometime.
- Add Red chilli powder, Sambhar powder and salt.
- Add tamarind juice and allow it to boil until the vegetables are cooked.
- Adjust water and salt accordingly.
- Allow it to boil for sometime.
- Add the coarse dhal powder and allow it to boil for few minutes. (Ensure that no lumps are formed while adding the powder).
- Spicy Kuzhambu is ready for you to enjoy.