Raw Rice - 1 cup
Moong Dhal - 1 cup
Water 6 - Cups
Ginger - 1 Inch
Black pepper - 2 Tsps
Cashew nuts 10 - 15
Curry leaves - Few
Cumin Seeds - 1 Tsp
Ghee - 4 Tsps
Salt - As required
- Wash rice and moong dhal.Drain the water.
- Heat 2 Tsps of Ghee in a pan.Fry the rice and moong dhal .
- Add water and salt. Allow it to cook. You can check the consistency inbetween. (You could alternatively use cooker to cook - leave 4 whistles)
- Chop ginger into small pieces.
- Once the rice and dhal gets cooked, heat 2 Tsps of Ghee, fry peppers, chopped ginger, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add this to the cooked rice and dhal and mix well.
- Pongal is ready. Serve hot with coconut chutney.