Rice flour - 1 Cup
Tamarind - 4"
Red chilli whole - 1 No
Red chilli powder - 1/4 Tsp
Curd Chilli - 4
Salt - As required
Sesame Oil - 3 Tsp
Curry leaves - Few
Mustard seeds - 1 Tsp
- Start: 5.30
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice - 5 mins
- Gradually add the tamarind juice to the rice flour. Add salt and check the consistency. It should be like pakoda / pakora consistency (as shown in the picture) - 3 mins
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds. - 2 mins
- Add Curry leaves, Red chilli whole and Curd chilli and fry. - 1 min
- Add the rice flour and red chilli powder. Fry for sometime by adding oil (if needed) - 3 mins
- Upma is ready to eat. Serve hot.
- Total Time: 14 mins
If you don't have Curd Chilli, you can replace it with Red chilli whole.
It was really exciting to have the timer nearby while cooking. I have mentioned only the time taken for the process. I have suppressed the time for my inbetween photography session.