Two things come to my mind when I think of tomatoes 1) Tomato Pickle (this stands first what to do...that shows the interest in eating :P) and 2) Tomatina festival.
Did you know that India is the fifth largest producer of Tomatoes.
Coming to the recipe. Pachadi means Chutney/Pickle in telugu.This is my mother-in-law's way of preparing Tomato pickle.
Tomato pickle is a very handy one which goes well with rice and any tiffin item. This can be used as a paste while preparing curry. This method does not require cutting/smashing tomatoes before cooking. One of the good thing about this method is it requires very less oil and does not splash while cooking.
Tomato : 12
Tamarind : 200gms (clean it)
Salt : 1 Cup (150 ml cup)
Red chilli powder : 1 Cup (150 ml cup)
Turmeric - 1 Tsp
Oil - 5 Tsps
Roast and Grind:
Mustard - 5 Tsps
Fenugreek seeds - 5 Tsps
- Wash the tomatoes and dry it well by wiping with paper towel.
- Heat 5 Tsps of oil in a pan.
- Add the tomatoes.Close it with a lid and allow it to cook.
- Open and stir it frequently so that it does not stick to the pan.
- Smash the tomatoes while it is cooking (this will allow easy cooking).
- It will take atleast 20 mins to cook well.
- Dry roast mustard and fenugreek seeds.
- Grind it into fine powder.
- Once tomato is cooked, add turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and fenugreek,mustard powder and spread tamarind.(Adjust salt and chilli powder according to your taste).
- Mix it well and keep in stove for 5 mins.
- Remove it from stove and allow it to cool.
- Now grind the mixture into fine paste.Tomato Pickle is ready.
This can be stored in fridge for months.Whenever you want to use it, take a portion of it.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, channa dal, cumin seeds, red chilli whole (1 or 2) and curry leaves.
- Add the portion of tomato pickle.
- Mix it once and ready to eat.
- Tomato is rich in Vitamin C